Who We Are
Preserving the planet. Protecting the people.
Founded by Gosia Piatek in 2006, Kowtow is a seed-to-garment brand, made entirely from 100% Fairtrade certified organic cotton. Gosia believes that clothing is a vessel for a much bigger concept towards a healthier planet and a fairer world. Determined to create a positive environmental contribution, Kowtow works with nature to provide people with a natural and circular clothing solution, whilst working in sustainability and innovation, as a certified B Corp.
“The limitations of our ethos keeps us innovative. We don’t compromise on design, and embrace restrictions. This gives our garments a strong minimal identity, and we believe the simplicity of our clothing is the first step toward circularity.”
– Gosia Piatek, Kowtow Founder
The Role and what you will bring
We are searching for an innovative and energetic Art Director to develop and execute visual designs and concepts that effectively communicate the Kowtow brand identity. If you are highly creative and have a passion for global fashion, art and design, this is the career opportunity you have been waiting for!
A typical day will see you collaborating across multiple creative projects including concept development, asset creation, graphic design and campaign shoots. Reporting to the Creative Director, you will work closely with the Brand and Sales teams to inspire our customers and bring to life the design vision of our unique and vibrant collections.
The Primary Responsibilities:
- Actively research and present innovative and creative concepts for future campaigns
- Work closely with Creative Director to develop visual designs that effectively communicate seasonal concepts
- Oversee the development and production of design led landing pages, promotional materials and special projects
- Lead art direction and styling of photo shoots, campaigns and other productions
- Work closely with Sales teams to develop new concepts and create assets for all sales channels, including website, newsletters and social media
- Support the Brand team with the execution of various design projects
- Monitor campaign development and roll out across all communication touchpoints, including digital platforms, print and POS
- Oversee a high level of finish for all brand materials
Your Skills and Experience:
- At least 5 years progressive experience in creative roles (ideally in fashion)
- Highly creative, with a passion for global fashion, art and design
- Proactive communicator and collaborator with excellent verbal and written skills
- Experience in planning and execution of campaign shoots
- Sound knowledge of current art and design trends and an understanding of the competitive landscape
- Meticulous attention to detail, exceptional time management and a can-do attitude
Ideally you care about preserving the planet as much as we do and have a genuine interest in circularity, sustainability and innovation
What We Offer
At Kowtow we are proud of our kind and caring culture. Flexible working options, a 9-day fortnight and volunteer days are just some of the ways we support the health and wellbeing of our team, and allow our people the time they need to rest and recharge. A seasonal clothing allowance and discount provides you and your loved ones the opportunity to enjoy wearing our Fairtrade organic cotton clothing. We also share some amazing discount privileges with like minded sustainably focused businesses.
Kowtow is growing and our newly refurbished workroom and studio is an inspiring place to work in central Wellington, Aotearoa’s creative capital. We provide an environment where people can achieve their potential by offering equal opportunities for growth and development, and we actively encourage collaboration and ideation. You will thrive at Kowtow if you are naturally confident, have a positive attitude and share our vision of leaving the planet better than we found it.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Apply now through Seek or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter, CV and online portfolio.