Who We Are
Preserving the planet. Protecting the people.
Founded by Gosia Piatek in 2006, Kowtow is a seed-to-garment brand, made entirely from 100% Fairtrade certified organic cotton. Gosia believes that clothing is a vessel for a much bigger concept towards a healthier planet and a fairer world. Determined to create a positive environmental contribution, Kowtow works with nature to provide people with a natural and circular clothing solution, whilst working in sustainability and innovation as a certified B Corp.
“The limitations of our ethos keeps us innovative. We don’t compromise on design, and embrace restrictions. This gives our garments a strong minimal identity, and we believe the simplicity of our clothing is the first step toward circularity.”
– Gosia Piatek, Kowtow Founder
This is a newly created role within our Production Team that will provide support with pattern making, sampling and the Kowtow repair programme. The successful candidate will bring both technical and practical experience to this varied and hands-on role, contributing to the overall efficiency of our production processes and the timely delivery of high quality ranges.
Based in Wellington, this is a great opportunity for a talented garment technician to continue developing their industry skills with a growing brand focussed on innovative and sustainable supply chain solutions.
The Primary Responsibilities:
- Create tech packs with garment specifications including illustrator tech drawings
- Assist the Production Manager with compiling and recording product information
- Support the internal pattern makers with the cutting and sewing of samples
- Assist with in-house quality control and measurement of sample and bulk garments
- Support the Production Development Coordinator with the customer repair programme
- Work collaboratively with the team to ensure Kowtow specification requirements of quality, fit and construction
- Contribute to the development of supply chain sustainability solutions for traceability and transparency
- Assist with general workroom tasks as required to ensure design studio is well organised inspiring and productive at all times
Your Skills and Experience:
- Industry experience in pattern making (preferably using CAD)
- Sound knowledge and proven ability in garment construction
- Experience in sampling and production processes
- Relevant tertiary qualification (CAD pattern training preferred)
- Demonstrate an active interest in fashion, art and design innovation
- Mac literate, proficient in Illustrator and experience with Adobe Suite and/or other design software
- Confident communicator with excellent verbal and written skills
- Deadline driven with exceptional attention to detail
Ideally you care about preserving the planet as much as we do and have a genuine interest in circularity, sustainability and innovation
What We Offer
At Kowtow we are proud of our kind and caring culture. Flexible working options, birthday leave and volunteer days are just some of the ways we support the health and wellbeing of our team, and we are currently trialling a reduced working week to allow our people more time to rest and recharge. A seasonal clothing allowance and discount provides you and your loved ones the opportunity to enjoy wearing our Fairtrade organic cotton clothing. We also share some amazing discount privileges with like minded sustainably focused businesses.
Kowtow is growing and our newly refurbished workroom and studio is an inspiring place to work in central Wellington, Aotearoa’s creative capital. We provide an environment where people can achieve their potential by offering equal opportunities for growth and development, and we actively encourage collaboration and ideation. You will thrive at Kowtow if you are naturally confident, have a positive attitude and share our vision of leaving the planet better than we found it.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Apply now through Seek or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your cover letter and CV.