Who We Are
Preserving the planet. Protecting the people.
Founded by Gosia Piatek in 2006, Kowtow is a seed-to-garment brand, made entirely from 100% Fairtrade certified organic cotton. Gosia believes that clothing is a vessel for a much bigger concept towards a healthier planet and a fairer world. Determined to create a positive environmental contribution, Kowtow works with nature to provide people with a natural and circular clothing solution, whilst working in sustainability and innovation, as a certified B Corp.
“The limitations of our ethos keeps us innovative. We don’t compromise on design, and embrace restrictions. This gives our garments a strong minimal identity, and we believe the simplicity of our clothing is the first step toward circularity.”
– Gosia Piatek, Kowtow Founder
The Role and what you will bring
We are searching for an experienced creative to lead the design and development of Kowtow’s inspiring seasonal collections. If you are a talented and ambitious product designer keen to further your design career and the idea of working with a single natural fibre excites you, this is the career opportunity you have been waiting for.
Taking inspiration from art and nature, you will bring a fresh eye to the interpretation of the Kowtow aesthetic and inspire the creative and technical teams with your collaborative style and hands on approach. The challenges of producing commercial designs that align with our sustainability and circular goals will drive you to continually push the boundaries of design innovation, to deliver the beautiful on-brand ranges our customers love.
The Primary Responsibilities:
- Research, create and update range themes and mood-boards with Creative Director
- Identify and analyse market and sales trends, to ensure product development aligns with the seasonal range plan and Kowtow’s commercial goals
- Research, design and develop innovative product designs across all categories, including cut and sew, knitwear, denim and wovens
- Collaborate with technical and production team on product prototypes and sampling, ensuring all deadlines are met
- Oversee technical processes to ensure consistently high quality in fit and construction
- Lead and develop the Design team
Skills and Experience:
- At least 5 years experience in a similar role
- Highly creative, both conceptually and hands-on
- Ability to sketch by hand
- In depth understanding of product design and development
- Resourceful and proactive approach, with a commercial understanding of the industry and current market trends
- Highly collaborative and positive team manager with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience presenting range concepts and design inspiration both internally and externally
- Meticulous attention to detail, exceptional time management and a can-do attitude
- Mac literate, and experience with Adobe Suite and/or other design software
- Confident communicator with excellent verbal and written skills
Ideally you care about preserving the planet as much as we do and have a genuine interest in circularity, sustainability and innovation
What We Offer
At Kowtow we are proud of our kind and caring culture. Flexible working options, birthday leave and volunteer days are just some of the ways we support the health and wellbeing of our team, and we are currently trialling a reduced working week to allow our people more time to rest and recharge. A seasonal clothing allowance and discount provides you and your loved ones the opportunity to enjoy wearing our Fairtrade organic cotton clothing. We also share some amazing discount privileges with like minded sustainably focused businesses.
Kowtow is growing and our newly refurbished workroom and studio is an inspiring place to work in central Wellington, Aotearoa’s creative capital. We provide an environment where people can achieve their potential by offering equal opportunities for growth and development, and we actively encourage collaboration and ideation. You will thrive at Kowtow if you are naturally confident, have a positive attitude and share our vision of leaving the planet better than we found it.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Apply now through Seek or by emailing us at email@example.com with your cover letter, CV and online portfolio.